Kam Salisbury on 11 Jan 2005 03:12:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ftpd with FC2

> George Gallen wrote:

-snip
>>Am I missing something? Is it called something else? Neither ftpd or
>> wu_ftp are in my

vsftpd is the way to go when running Fedora. Just 'yum install vsftpd'
then 'man vsftpd' etc.

-snip
>>Is FC3 worth the upgrade from FC2?

I am running FC3 now, fresh install instead of upgrade from FC2 (I ran FC1
for a while and Redhat 9-8-7.x before that) FC3 is worth the upgrade. I
have to say that Fedora itself just keeps getting better and better. There
is a big switch from standard /dev to udev in FC3 as well as active
SELinux. Udev took a little getting used to since I use USB for synching
my Palm Tungsten E and I set SELinux to warn until I can read up on it
more.

FC3 still has many services installed and running by default just like its
earlier versions. But disabling portmap (if you do not intend to do NFS)
is one quick '/sbin/chkconfig portmap off' As a rule I disable anything I
do not normally need but leave it installed just in case I goofed or I
need it later.

Enjoy!

--
Kam Salisbury