Barry Roomberg on 12 Jan 2005 03:38:19 -0000

[PLUG] Linux focused job opening

There is an opening in my company for an Associate
Programmer Analyst.  This is a catchall term for a
variety of skill sets since we deal with such a variety
of technology.

In this case, it is an internal support position to start
off with.

I have constructed some moderately complex workflow systems
that move data around an IBM MF, Linux, Solaris, and Windows
boxes.  I call a variety of hand coded or external programs.
I glue them all together via a mixture of simple bash or
Perl code.

Almost all business logic is done under Linux.  I download
and upload files from the mainframe, and occasionally call
programs under Windows when forced.

This stuff basically runs itself.  It can be triggered to
run based on the existence of files arriving via FTP
or Samba shares (Windows users drag and drop into it).

There are about 30 users at this point, all moderately
technical people who are employees of our company.

When I roll out a new system there is a variety of
documentation and training that goes along with it,
depending on how complex / automated the system is
and what the users need to be aware off in order to use
it.

The job has several areas of responsibility.  The core
reason for it is to provide a contact for trouble
shooting and support for the users when they are having
a problem.  This is to keep them from calling me.

I don't get a lot of calls, but when I do, it is considered
a production issue, which means I have to drop everything
to address it even if it is a silly issue.

If there really is a problem (rather than RTFM), then
you should be able to research the possible areas of
concern.  This means reading the logs associated with
the processing, looking at files on multiple Linux
or Windows systems.

Most of the processing is triggered by a control file
showing up, so you should be able to look at the control
file (Window style ini file), check to see if files showed
up, got processed to a certain step, etc.

I log the hell out of everything, but since I am capturing
the output of a variety of programs the logs can be very
confusing.

If you see a zero byte file or something like that, check
for general system feel (load, memory / cpu pinned, out
of space, network oddities, etc), general system
troubleshooting.  In this case some experience as a Linux
sysadmin would be helpful.

You would have to possibly read enough of my Perl code to
understand what the system is trying to do.  You
would NOT be expected to change my code.  If it hits that
point that you discover a problem, and it is not based on
a silly typo in a control file or a random system level
event that we can't control, then you would escalate to me.

If you WANT to try to fix it, and you are comfortable enough
in Perl, then you could try, but only after the code is
reviewed by someone else will it go into production.

Keep in mind I consider myself a "passable" Perl programmer,
which means the code won't make you want to rip your eyes
out, but it might make you a bit nauseated.

Experience with Sun Grid Engine would be a plus.

Experience with the Direct Mail Industry (we print a LOT
of stuff) would be a plus.  Experience with Group 1
or 1st Logic software would fall into here.

The ability to interview users during the construction of
new systems and document workflows would be nice.

The ability to understand the difference between an
AFP and a Postscript print stream would be phenomenal.
Not that I expect it, but if someone out there knows
what I am talking about it would be very cool.

If you can read a COBOL layout without flinching and
you are able to resist the urge to hunt down the person
who abuses the "redefines depending on" clause would be
a positive.

Understanding how to safely move mixed alphabetic and
binary data between EBCDIC and ASCII is a definite plus.

As you spend more time on the job, you would document
the types of things that can be handled by our helpdesk
rather than you, and work with them so they can handle
the simple stuff.

This is a full time position based in Ivyland PA - near
Warminster.  You would be on-call most of the time for
support issues, but never to actually "do" the productions.

Please email me your resume if you are interested.

Barry Roomberg
broom@cc3.com