Walt Mankowski on 12 Jan 2005 18:31:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] vi question

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:48:06AM -0500, Bill Hance wrote:

>   I would like to know how to turn off highlighting in vi. If anyone can
> provide a clue, that would be great. One of my PCs (RHL9) - whenever I
> open a file with vi - every instance of "192" is glowing an ugly orange.
> How it got this way is a mystery.
>
>   I RTF man page, and am still clueless.

You should have tried the FAQ. :)  Here's what it says:

10.1. After I searched for a text with a pattern, all the matched text
      stays highlighted. How do I turn off the highlighting
      temporarily/permanently?

The 'hlsearch' option controls whether all the matches for the last
searched pattern are highlighted or not. By default, this option is
not enabled. If this option is set in a system-wide vimrc file, then
you can turn off the search highlighting by using the following
command:

    :set nohlsearch

To temporarily turn off the search highlighting, use

    :nohlsearch

You can also clear the search highlighting, by searching for a pattern
that is not in the current file (for example, search for the pattern
'asdf').

For more information, read

    :help 'hlsearch'
    :help :nohlsearch