Jon Nelson on 12 Jan 2005 18:42:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] vi question

Bill Hance said:

>   I would like to know how to turn off highlighting in vi. If anyone can
> provide a clue, that would be great. One of my PCs (RHL9) - whenever I
> open a file with vi - every instance of "192" is glowing an ugly orange.
> How it got this way is a mystery.

Its been awhile since I used vi but I believe what you are looking at is a
past search.  To check try:

    :/larry

Assuming that "larry" is not in your document.  If the highlighting is now
gone then:

    :nohlsearch

will turn it off for the current session.

To turn it off all together look in ~/.viminfo for:

    # hlsearch on (H) or off (h):
    ~H

and edit it appropriately.

Jon