eric@lucii.org on 13 Jan 2005 00:34:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] vi question

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:48:06AM -0500, Bill Hance wrote:

>   I would like to know how to turn off highlighting in vi. If anyone can
> provide a clue, that would be great. One of my PCs (RHL9) - whenever I
> open a file with vi - every instance of "192" is glowing an ugly orange.
> How it got this way is a mystery.
>
>   I RTF man page, and am still clueless.
>
> Thanks!
>  -Bill

Bill, I have a somewhat longer but (for me) more effective way to deal
with highlighting in VIM.

In my .vimrc file, I have this line:

map <F12> :source /home/eric/vim/hlsearch-toggle

Then, in the vim directory I have a script called hlsearch-toggle:

" number-toggle script
"   Copyright 2004 by Eric Lucas.
"   Licensed under the GNU General Public License
"   See:  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html

:if &hlsearch == 0
  set hlsearch
:else
  set nohlsearch
:endif
:echo &hlsearch == 0 ?  "Search highlighting OFF" : "Search highlighting ON"

Now, restart vim.  if you search, the highlighting will be on.  Tap the F12
key and it's off.  F12 again and it's on.  Repeat as necessary :-D

Yes, it's nuts to copyright a 6 line script but I'm not seeking legal _rights_
under the GPL but legal _protections_.  This, and other VIM scripts are
available at http://www.lucii.com/vim.html

I have shortcut keys mapped to scripts that toggle line numbers, scroll
binding and syntax highlighting.  There is also a script to "cycle" the
line lengths (yeah, I write _WAY_ too much with VIM :-D ).

Hope this helps!

Eric
#   Eric Lucas