Jeff Abrahamson on 13 Jan 2005 18:02:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Switching email programs

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:59:11PM -0500, eric@lucii.org wrote:
>   [50 lines, 313 words, 2047 characters]  Top characters: etian-o_
>
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:41:23PM -0500, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> > Art Alexion wrote:

> > >and, of course, enigmail works with thunderbird as well.
> > >

> > Even better, QuoteCollapse in Thunderbird.  Reduces entire sections of
> > quotes to little plus signs that can be expanded.
>
> Oh, NOW I'm REALLY intrigued.

Do you know about the mutt feature toggle-quoted, bound to "T" in
pager mode ?

> I had decided to stay with mutt for now.  One complaint I had with mutt
> was that when I forwarded an email the attachment did not go with it.
> I've solved that with a bit of variable tweaking.  Also, I can now tag
> multiple messages and forward them ALL in one email.

Mutt certainly requires you to discover slightly different ways of
working, although I find that I like those ways better than what I
used to do with a gui mail client.

> I still miss the GUI based list of folders and the ability to open
> multiple emails at the same time.

You can have multiple mutts running, each in its own xterm.  Running
two mutts on the same mbox file might ask for problems, although mutt
now handles it well as long as both sessions save before the other
modifies.  I do this between home and work, where I have mutt running
in both, I just make sure I save before leaving.  (Saving is good
practice anyway.)

When I'm concerned, I switch to read-only mode, either "%" in mutt or
"mutt -R" at invocation time.

> I also VPN into the firewall and run mutt remotely if I want.  Of
> course, with VNC I can even run Thunderbird that way so my list of
> objections to switching are reduced.  Hummmmmm.

Some also combine this with screen to have their
one-true-session-in-the-sky.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287