Eric J. Roode on 18 Jan 2005 16:05:58 -0000

[PLUG] gpg-key2ps (was Re: Participation information)

Stephen Gran wrote:

Yours contains one line that seems odd:

sub:u:1024:1:42C6FE860823462E:2004-11-20::::::s:

Unfortunately, I don't know enough postscript to know if it makes any
difference.  Try deleting just that one line and seeing if it makes a
difference.

Well, I do know enough postscript. :-)  And I know enough shell
scripting to determine that gpg-key2ps is rife with bugs. :-P

It uses bash constructs, but the shebang line is #!/bin/sh -- change
that to #!/bin/bash (that fixes a problem with "numlines").

The grand sed line (the one with a whole mess of -e clauses) doesn't
handle all possibilities of the gpg's --with-colons output (which the
script uses and parses).  That's what's tripping up Art's key; he has a
subkey that uses the RSA algorithm, and gpg-key2ps chokes on anything
other than Elgamal.  It failed for my key, too, because mine displays
trust information and "user attribute" info, neither of which is handled
by gpg-key2ps.

I hacked gpg-key2ps enough to print my own key... and found that the
output is badly formatted (with overlapping text and crap).  I should
probably rewrite it to work with any input.... probably will, at some point.

In the meantime, let me contribute this hacky little postscript program
I wrote, to print out my own key information for keysignings.  It's not
that good, and it's not that general, and you have to hand-edit it with
a text editor, but it Works.  Use it as you will. :-)

--
Eric