sean finney on 18 Jan 2005 17:14:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] iptables

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:06:19PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
> > iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> > iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
> > iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
> >
> > That will drop all outgoing traffic except SSH or HTTP sessions and
> > connections that are already open or logically related to those that
> > are already open (which in the case of HTTP is none).
>
> Minor nitpick - I think Jeff said that this machine hosted an ssh and http
> _server_, so he wants sport rather than dport above.  Otherwise, well
> said.

in that case he'd also want to use the INPUT chain, not the OUTPUT
chain.  of course, doing both would always be a good idea too:

iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --sport 22 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --sport 80 -j ACCEPT

you'll also find that if you're blocking your output chain, you'll
need to make various other holes as well, like for your distribution's
local ftp mirror, dns, ntp, etc.

	sean