cms on 19 Jan 2005 14:27:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Forensics for Dummies?

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 15:19, FloydLJohnsonIII@aol.com wrote:
> Dear PLUGgers,
>
> Mr. Kaplowitz's recent (mis?)adventure raised, for me, the question, of
> systematically solving these things. Can anyone recommend a beginner's
> guide to post-intrusion analysis? A good one would instruct in how to
> answer, "how'd they  break our defenses?"

Check out the challenges at The Honeynet Project. They are very good and they
were designed for the 'students' to be able to use OSS tools to solve them.
The older challenges, although dated, are still very good and you can even
read the winners' answers. <http://www.honeynet.org/misc/chall.html>
Also check out the test images Brian Carrier developed at CFTT (Digital
Forensics Tool Testing Images). Although more along the lines of forensic work
--as opposed to incident response-- they too were designed to be solved using
OSS tools. And of course, there is SecurityFocus.com and SANS.org. Like
someone else already said, Google.

HTH
Chris Shanahan