Kam Salisbury on 20 Jan 2005 04:40:10 -0000

Re: [PLUG] pilot issues

> How do folks here sync their Palm OS handhelds under linux.
>
> I've been using jpilot, but it has some annoyances.  I'd be happy with
> an emacs or ncurses program, actually, but there don't appear to be
> any.  I wonder why. ;-)
>
> Related, has anyone figured out the difference between -update and
> -sync in pilot-xfer?  Or figured out why neither really goes very
> fast compared to jpilot's sync?
>
> --
>  Jeff
>
>  Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287
>  GPG fingerprint: 1A1A BA95 D082 A558 A276  63C6 16BF 8C4C 0D1D AE4B

Jeff, assuming you have a USB connected palm and everything USB is working
OK on your box...

To get a TCP/IP connection you would install pppd and then:
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyUSB1 noauth 192.168.1.172:192.168.1.5 proxyarp
ktune ms-dns 192.168.1.1 passive

To transfer files TO the palm from linux you would install pilot-xfer and
then:
pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -i /data/you_are_installing/*

The man page for pilot-xfer does a fair job of explaining the modes of the
program. -b backs up, for example -- something you should do right away
and copy off to CD for safe keeping. The backup may fail on certian files,
if so you can exclude them from the backup.

Sync brings both palm and linux folder holding palm data into sync, no
matter which end it must delete data from. (Reference my backup advice?)

Update brings the palm up to date with what is on the linux box. (Again,
reference my backup advice?)

Have fun. There is a little bit of information to go on out there but even
as good as Google is, I had to dig real hard to find it.

You should also check out JPluck and Plucker.

--
Kam Salisbury
http://kamsalisbury.com