Doug Crompton on 20 Jan 2005 07:17:24 -0000

[PLUG] Spam Elimination

I am curious what methods others are using to fight spam? I have been
using SpamAssassin for a few years and I got tired of actually accepting
this junk rather then rejecting it. I recently set up spam filtering rules
in sendmail - access.db using spamlist.org, also my own local additions
and also dnsbl's - abuseat.org and relays.orbs.org and some custom rules I
found to enhance access.db lookup.

So far I have eliminated (rejected) about 95% of the spam. It is nice to
watch (less -f /var/log/mail) and see the rejects go by!

My real reason in sending this is to ask if anyone has lists they would
like to share, especially of domain blocks. I am currrently blocking a lot
of the world outside of the US and my list is growing!

I also actively send abuse messages to mostly US ISP's that I don't block
after looking at headers. I am not sure how much good that does but I like
doing it!

I firmly believe that the way to eliminate this crap is to NOT accept it
rather then accept it, test it, and then dump it. As long as we accept it
it will keep coming! I have no problem cutting off domains that spew this
crap. Of course I am not an ISP so I can get away with that.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *