Dan Widyono on 20 Jan 2005 14:45:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] If the linux people despise windows...How come...

Can't speak for all other Windows haters, but *I* hate "Windows the Operating
System" and "Windows the product manufactured by a company whose business
practices I despise", not "Windows the User Interface".  The latter has some
really good work behind it, a *lot* of really good human interface work, even
though it isn't perfect.  Heck, my 3-year old can navigate Windows well
enough to reboot into MS-DOS (which even he prefers, just so he can type).
Nothing is perfect, but all GUI's strive toward perfection (isn't that what
life is about as well?).  They're all probably going to reach a somewhat
similar look and feel in the end (until the next paradigm shift, of course).

Linux isn't looking more and more like Windows.  They're just both looking
more and more like the ideal graphical keyboard-and-mouse-driven user
interface, and Microsoft has been working closer with paid end-user support
for a longer time.  Saying that, however, if I were a Windows / Xerox Parc
human interface engineer, I'd certainly be flattered, yes.

Dan W.

--
-- Daniel Widyono             --
-- www.widyono.net            --