Eric J. Roode on 20 Jan 2005 16:17:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam Elimination

Rebecca Ore wrote:

On Thursday, January 20, 2005, at 08:56 AM, Eric J. Roode wrote:

if it
doesn't contain "PLUG" in the subject and is not GPG-signed, it gets
junked.

I don't GPG or PGP sign my messages as I find that it's basically
unnecessary for most of us.  I don't know many systems administrators
outside this list who bother to PGP/GPG posts to private new
hierarchies or even to Usenet, much less email.

If that means someone isn't going to read this, <shrug>.

Let me clarify: the condition is: if the message comes in to "sdn.praised68720@zoemail.net" and it doesn't have PLUG in the subject and it's not GPG-signed, dump it. Put another way, I keep it if it has PLUG in the subject or it is signed. So I saw your message, Rebecca :-)

If someone sends me a personal message at this address, then they saw my
name on this list.  Either they're a spammer (spammer's suck up mailing
list addresses), or it's a PLUG member.  If they're a PLUG member, then
it's likely they're sending a message to me as a reply to an online
posting (in which case it'll have PLUG in the subject), or they're
sending to me out of the blue (in which case it's *possible* they'll put
PLUG in the subject, or they'll sign the message). I suppose I lose a
small amount of real mail, but I ditch 100% of the spam.

(Have I gone into way too much detail and beaten this dead horse?)  :-)

--
Eric