Stephen Gran on 20 Jan 2005 17:32:31 -0000

[PLUG] mutt close-hook advice

Hello all,

I am in the position (as I'm sure many of you are) of having some
mailboxes that grow rapidly out of control.  What I'd like to start
doing is archiving them in some sane way, e.g. monthly rotations or
something.  I could just write a logrotate script for them, but that
seems like not the best way - I have no idea what would happen if a
delivery was under way when a logrotate run came along.  I was thinking
of maybe using a mutt close-hook to rotate all the messages received in
December into a 2004-12 mailbox, and similar handling for others.  I am
not sure this is any saner, however (or even really possible), so I am
asking what others do to manage their mail volumes.

Thanks,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Why do they call a fast a fast, when it |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | goes so slow?                           |