Kevin Brosius on 26 Jan 2005 02:12:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Postscript/Ghostscript question

> I've been using handwritten postscript to make gray-scale wheels that
> are printed on film. They work as I'd intended, but now I'd like to do
> the same thing but using halftones to make the 'grays', because this
> will mean I can get them printed on high-contrast films that have some
> properties that are preferable.
>
>  From what I can see it shouldn't be hard to get halftones, but what
>
> I've tried hasn't worked. I'm pasting in a simple example that doesn't
> work for me, wondering if anybody's got a tip.
>
> I'm sorry if this seems off-topic. I think I recall some past
> postscript questions, but maybe I'm wrong...
>
> It seems to me this example should show giant (5 per inch) halftone
> cells in, for example, gv. But instead I see nice smooth grays.

It's been a while since I played with any of this...  But aren't good
halftone screens, by definition, device dependent?

I always run over to Don Lancaster's Hardware Guru stuff when I need
cool PS tricks.  He's got a article about good halftone screens for 300
& 600 dpi lasers.  As your output resolution goes up, you won't have to
worry so much about the screen though.  What is your film resolution?
Anyway, he has a website up now.  http://www.tinaja.com/post01.asp

There is a ton of PS stuff there.  I'd forgotten how much.  He used to
have an article called Guru Grays with some halftone info.  I didn't see
it in a quick read through though.

--
Kevin