Ben Dugan on 26 Jan 2005 16:10:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] kernel 2.6 and /dev/psaux

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
I just upgraded to kernel 2.6.8 from 2.4.27.  But now I can't use X.
The issue is that /dev/mouse isn't a valid device.  Currently it
points to /dev/psaux.

My /dev/mouse points to /dev/psaux and works (this is an old Redhat system with kernel 2.4.18).

Googling (in console-mode) I found that many people found that there
troubles ended with

    ln -s /dev/input/mice /dev/mouse

But /dev/input does not exist on my machine.

Is your mouse a usb mouse? Is /dev/input a way of having a common file interface for serial, usb, ps/2, and hardware mice?

Googling in console mode; OUCH!

Maybe I can help by looking something up for you?

Ben