Mike Leone on 29 Jan 2005 03:53:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] PGP Signatures Was: Re: BusinessWeek Article: Linux Inc

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 09:05:58AM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
>> What I didn't understand is that, to be effective, signatures are an
>> all or nothing proposition.  That is, the best way to spot a forgery
>> is to know that the sender always signs his or her messages, ergo,
>> an unsigned message is probably not authentic.
>
> This is a very important observation, but it goes beyond this.  If
> people only sign email when it's really important to establish
> authorship, then when people do sign, they are making a very bold
> statement.  A reader may spend considerable time wondering why this
> message is different.

In my case, I don't always sign, because I sometimes don't feel like
typing in my passphrase. Call me lazy. :-) Other times, like now, I sign
 because I can, not necessarily because it's important.