Len Pikulski on 10 Feb 2005 13:21:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] linux firewall replacement/upgrade

Hello all.
We still have about 30 Computers of that spec out in the field running LINUX , iptables, NAT, Mail server, etc...
We had to come up with a different solution because of different VPN requirements.
After testing most of the commercial "firewall appliances", we chose the SonicWall line, small, easy to configure, and SonicWall "OWNS" the VPN Global Client.
We use the small unit TZ170 for most small office / home office situations.
The TZ 170 lists under $ 500.00, an we have gotten them on ebay for under $350.00.

Note!
The larger units are single rack space mount, and are "LOUD"!

Hope that helps
Get in touch if you have any questions.

Len

I am looking for a replacement for a linux firewall. It is running on an old 500 mhz Dell and i want to get rid of the machine noise. It is a FC2 box and I use iptables and NAT. I need to have the same control I have with iptables being able to open, close and forward ports to internal addresses. Maybe I can continue to use a linux box or maybe I need something built specifically for this by someone like NetGear. The solution needs to be cheap and silent. Any suggestions?