high_desert on 11 Feb 2005 05:49:23 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Simulate network latency and low bandwidth

--> From: Malcolm J Harwood
--> Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 4:09 PM
--> For low bandwidth, if you look in the archives for last
--> september for a thread
--> titled " per process bandwidth limitation?" that has some
--> suggestions in it.
--> (None of which I've actually gotten to try yet, due to that
--> project being
--> randomly rescheduled).

>From http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2004-09/msg00448.html:
iptables -j MARK from Tobias DiPasquale, and
http://monkey.org/~marius/pages/?page=trickle from mct. Sweet. Nothing to
introduce or simulate latency, but awesome bandwidth limiting stuff.

Now my question is what is a reasonable way to run a low RAM requiring
instance of this as a VMWare guest? I guess a floppy or CD based
router/firewall could use the iptables -j MARK, what about trickle? Any
preferred way to save and copy configurations from one use to another with a
floppy or CD based router/firewall?

- Zake