sean finney on 14 Feb 2005 13:55:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] while we're talking about spam, a novel idea

hi tobias,

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 06:31:53AM -0500, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> RoboMail and SendSafe, the two most popular pieces of spamware out
> there, already can deal with this technique and others like it quite
> nicely. As well, you run the risk of bouncing legitimate mail if the
> user's MTA/MUA is crappy.

that's a shame.  how do they handle this?  work backwards across the
mx list?

i don't think there's much of a risk of bouncing legitimate mail though,
i've never heard of an mta so crappy as to repeatedly try connecting to
the wrong mx.  since all mx'es in this case are on the same network i
don't think there'd be a case where it could legitimately only talk to
the tarpit server.

however, a workaround for that wouldn't be too hard to do.  instead of
only returning 452's, the server could be set up as a greylist server
to let repeated tries through to the main mailhub, though i'm not
convinced this would ever help legitimate mailers.

anyway, since this is something pretty trivial to set up, i'm thinking
about doing it if anything just for shits and giggles.   i'll let you
guys know what i find out :)

	sean