Jeff Abrahamson on 14 Feb 2005 13:13:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam (revisited)

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 12:01:01AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
>   [43 lines, 230 words, 1560 characters]  Top characters: eotna_*l
>
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, sean finney wrote:
>
> > that's a great attitude to take, but i'd be suprised to find it acceptable
> > in any business environment.  for example, i could never block mail from
> > korea or various eastern european netblocks at my place of work (a well
> > known philly area college), because buried in all that spam could be an
> > email from a perspective student, alumni wanting to donate, etc.
> >
> > likewise i would never do that with my personal mail, as i (like
> > stephen) feel a certain responsibility to answer questions from
> > debian users and developers regardless of their country of origin.
> >
> > 	sean
>
> I fully understand and I consider myself lucky to be in the position I am
> to be able to do it and control my own mail destiny. I was wondering if
> doing something like this would work -
>
> ERROR:"550 We don't accept mail from spammers - Send mail to
> xxx@yahoo.com"
>
> or whatever you want to say..
>
> for those who want a backup. The legitimate sender would have an
> alternative address. I doubt the automated spam would pick it up.

I tried this, it doesn't pass the parent test.  That is,
unsophisticated users (like my parents, and like the majority of the
world, apparently) don't read the text on the 55x codes and so don't
follow the instructions.  To them, it just failed.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287