Carlos Konstanski on 22 Feb 2005 21:29:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OSX "middleware"?

It's nothing like iTunes, but it'll get tunes on and off your iPod.
It's called gtkpod.  Debian has a package by that name.  Here's a
great info page:

http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~adonovan/hacks/ipod.html

If you want to use HPFS as the filesystem (rather than reformatting it
FAT32), you want to know that the linux HPFS driver wants to perform a
fsck every 32 mounts, but there is no fsck utility for HPFS in linux.
This means you'll be dead in the water after 32 mounts.  You'll have to
reformat the iPod.  Unless...

A colleague has modified the HPFS driver to ignore the mount count.  He is
planning on getting it into the kernel source tree, and including a boot
command line option to enable the ignore feature.  I need to ask him if he
did it yet.  In either case, I'll try to get a patch file from him.  I
have not bothered because I do not own an iPod.  I will be getting one
for the kid soon though, and I do not allow Windows in the house, so
I'll be modifying my HPFS driver soon.

Maybe someone will write a fsck.hpfs, and then the iPod will just work,
like it does on a Mac.  But where's the fun in that?