Aaron Mulder on 22 Feb 2005 21:58:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OSX "middleware"?

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Art Alexion wrote:
> Has anyone tried this? I know that iTunes doesn't run on win98 (probably
> a DRM reason), so I am wondering whether wine is up to it yet.  I
> haven't tried using it in a couple of years.

	Crossover Office "supports" iTunes.  But when I tried it on my
laptop, it was horrible.  The sound was terrible, ripping and burining
weren't supported, it doesn't run the version of iTunes you can get from
Apple...  it was essentially useless.  There are a bunch of tips for
optimizing your sound in Wine, which are bull.  I mean, all the settings
read like: "Valid range, -7 to 653,234,546. Default: 23.  Known to be
sensitive to hardware.  Experiment and see which value works best for
you."  Yeah, right.

	Anyway, I'd avoid this like the plague.  Actually, if I could
think of anything worse than the plague, I'd compare it to that instead.

	I got a Mac Mini and I love it.

Aaron