Rebecca Ore on 24 Feb 2005 14:54:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OSX "middleware"?

On Wednesday, February 23, 2005, at 11:38 AM, Art Alexion wrote:

A mac mini may be the way to go for things other than just interacting with an iPod...

A huge number of people who resisted the iMac G5 have drunk the koolaide for that one. A friend in England was collecting PayPal contributions to buy his wife one for her birthday.

Apple seems to have changed their mind about allowing user installation of memory. It's a one chip machine so you buy the biggest chip you can afford and are down one chip you can't use if you upgrade the memory after you buy it.

I certainly want one. I could turn my study into something less like a machine room.

Speaking of machines, I've still got the Sparc5-170 without a scsi CD-ROM and an older Pentium 166 Micron machine with 96 MG RAM free to good homes. The Sparc5 has two network cards. The Pentium has a five or six port USB card (new as of last year) and I have a CD-ROM drive that will work in it, plus misc. other things (hard drive case, scsi cables, etc.). Pick up required (I'm in East Falls). No monitors, no Sparc keyboard, but I do have a Sparc optical mouse and mouse pads, microphhone.