William H. Magill on 2 Mar 2005 01:12:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dyndns + speakeasy

On 28 Feb, 2005, at 21:43, Eugene Smiley wrote:
Verizon owns the last mile for the most part when discussing DSL in
Philadelphia.

Only true if you are a Verizon customer for POTS.

I believe that the problem is switching DSL providers for a Verizon
provisioned DSL line. For example, I have Cavalier (local/LD/DSL)
over a Verizon loop. There are 2 loops that come into my house. If I
wanted to switch from Cavalier to SpeakEasy, I would have to either
get the 1st line unprovisioned and go through ordering and
reprovisioning (elapsed time: WEEKS to MONTHS, without service) or
get the 2nd line provisioned (elapsed time: DAYS to WEEKS).

Don't mix apples an oranges here.

Verizon and Speakeasy are both reselling the same Verizon local loop.

Cavalier, however, is a CLEC, and it "owns" that last mile, not Verizon.
(It's a legal thing, not physical, but it is a completely different
setup than Speakeasy simply buying and reselling a Verizon DSL loop.)

I have Cavalier for telephone and have had DCA/BellAtlantic
since the beginning. I actually picked up Cavalier in the middle of
getting my DSL line installed... it worked fine for two days, and then
died completely. It took the fact that I was involved in the DSL
testing with DCA and Bell Atlantic at the time to get the problem
escalated to the point where somebody far enough up in management
would/could explain why the line suddenly died and nobody could
get it working again! I wound up getting a second "dumb line" for
the BA DSL line so as not to disrupt my regular phone service...
at that time Cavalier was a division of DelMarva Power and Light
and were not offering DSL service outside of Wilmington city.

Another problem is when you're in an area where all available loops
are allocated and there is no plan to expand.

??? If you have phone service, you have a local loop. You may be in an area served by Fibre, and consequently no DSLAM is available, but that also is a different problem.

Cavalier has given me zero issues, but this thread has reminded me
that I need to shop around, because they changed their plans and I'm
on a higher priced plan (needlessly).

Everybody's rates are going up -- very soon. The FCC just (last week, I think) dropped the requirement that the ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier) has to sell their loops to the CLEC (Competitive Local Exchange Carrier) "cheap." Off hand, I don't know if that decision takes effect today, 1 March, or later.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.3.8
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com
whmagill@gmail.com