LeRoy Cressy on 2 Mar 2005 16:25:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: IP forwarding

Art Alexion wrote:
> high_desert wrote:
>

>> Maybe your W98 logon has admin rights, and the other's don't.
>
> Hmmm....  We use the same log on IDs and passwords on all computers on
> the network.  I am usually the only one logged on to the Linux machine.
> I wonder whether this somehow limits forwarding to my log on on the
> Windows machine?
>
>> (What do you
>> mean by "IP forwarding"? A NAT thing where people from the outside are
>> accessing the W98 box OR hitting the web from the W98 box via the Linux
>> box?)
>>

> Using the Linux machine as a gateway/router/firewall so that it and
> other machines can access the Internet.

Hi Art,

You need to set up the windows machine with a static IP address like
196.168.1.1.

In order to do this double click on the
             My Comuter ico

             Control Panel

                Network

                TCP/IP

In this box set up your gateway address to be the same as the ethernet
card on your forewall that connects to your Windows box.

Let's say your firewall has three nic cards where one is connected to
the modem, and the other two are connected to your private networks.

You should stipulate the following on your firewall
     Internet card:		real IP Addresss
     Windows Net Card:          192.168.10.10
     Other Net Card:            192.168.1.10

The above address are just examples.  Another thing is to make sure that
that no two ethernet cards have the same address.

Back to Windows:
Set your IP info accordingly
	IP Address:	192.168.10.100
	Subnet Mask:	255.255.255.0

	Gateway:	192.168.10.10

	DNS Config:	Enable DNS and enable your DNS Addresses

I think thqat this is all that you have to do.

Have a great day :-)

LeRoy

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
                       FAX:    215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/