Mike Leone on 4 Mar 2005 21:05:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mounting an Active Directory Share on linux

Kevin (kmr987@gmail.com) had this to say on 03/03/05 at 07:40:
> Some one was asking about how to mount an active directory share on
> linux last night at the meeting. Here is the command i use.
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username={ActiveDirectoryUserName},uid=ruse,gid=ruse
> //{ActiveDirectoryComputerName}/{ActiveDirectoryShareName} /mnt/gdrive
>
> Now to go the other direction, mounting samba shares to an active
> directory domain, that is the tricky part where you have have the
> linux machine join the domain and all the jazz.

I share out a couple directories from an AIX v5 machine, and it is not
a member of the domain. You can make it a regular workgroup (in my case,
named the same as the NetBIOS name of my domain), add a Samba user, set the
security to share, and a

NET USE T: \\<samba-server>\<shared-dir> <samba-user>
/USER:<samba-server>\<samba-user> /PERSISTENT:NO >NUL

in your domain login script, and you should be set. That's what we do. Then again,
these directories are world R/W; your situation may be more complicated. We
just set the valid-users list in smb.conf to be the <samba-user> mentioned
above.