gyoza on 5 Mar 2005 01:44:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] EIDE Drive Specs and Performance

Jason Costomiris wrote:

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:09:16 -0500, gyoza@comcast.net <gyoza@comcast.net> wrote:

ATA100 vs ATA133

More speed on the ATA bus.

2MB cache vs 8MB cache

More cache == better performance for certain things - repeated reads
of the same file, writing a lot of small files to disk (fill up cache,
return control to user, write to physical media)

I got a response from a DFI support person on a related question. He wrote, "Keep in mind that IDE hdd's never fully utilize the ATA bus...you will almost never get 100MB/s out of an ATA100 hdd (not even the SATA drives run this fast, and they are superior and run on an ATA150-type serial bus)."

For me, I'm guessing that an ATA100 drive with an 8MB cache is better than an ATA133 drive with only 2MB of cache.

I have to admit that the geek factor of having a RAID 0 array is kicking in. I just RMA'ed my 40GB drive. If it is replaced with another 40GB drive, needing more space might be a good excuse to try RAID 0, which would increase the capacity to 80GB. It would be too simple to just buy a larger drive.