Jason Costomiris on 4 Mar 2005 23:14:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] EIDE Drive Specs and Performance

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:09:16 -0500, gyoza@comcast.net <gyoza@comcast.net> wrote:
> I know that most of the answers seem obvious when considering drive
> specs, but I'm curious what experience has proven.  For desktop use, is
> there a significant difference between the following:
>
> ATA100 vs ATA133

More speed on the ATA bus.

> 2MB cache vs 8MB cache

More cache == better performance for certain things - repeated reads
of the same file, writing a lot of small files to disk (fill up cache,
return control to user, write to physical media)

> Single drive vs Dual-drive RAID 0 (stripe set)

RAID-0 is living on the edge, IMHO.  You're automatically dropping the
R from RAID.  There's not a bit of redundancy to be had there.

> Using an embedded Promise Fasttrak RAID controller, with WinXP and Linux
> (SuSE maybe), as opposed to running in regular non-RAID mode.

I'd suggest staying away from software-based RAID controllers, like
the Promise gear.  3ware rocks.  Real hardware RAID, and it's not
going to break the bank (unless you want to get the gonzo 8-channel
SATA raid card).

> Is it worth the cost, trouble, and vulnerability to run RAID 0 for
> desktop use?  Examples of use include games, some audio editing, photo
> editing, and maybe some minor video editing in the future.  And the
> usual e-mail, Web, and office apps.

Given your use case, HIGHLY doubtful.  There's geek factor for sure,
but do you really need it?  Way back when there was only ATA33, there
were applications that called for it - like video capture and editing.
 Nowadays, with ATA133, SATA150, FW800 and friends, there's really no
need any more.

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} gmail {dot} com / W: http://www.jasons.org/