Aaron Mulder on 15 Mar 2005 19:49:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] SHA-1 Broken

	I thought the capsule summary was "SHA-1 is not broken today, but
we should start preparing alternatives sooner than we thought we'd need
to".  In other words, with a truly gross hardware budget you can find a
big wad of gibberish that has the same hash as a real message.  But
there's no meaningful attack yet (finding hostile text that hashes the
same as a real message).  Still, the fact that it's now 10^12 times as
easy to break as it was last week means that it's not as future-proof as
we thought.

	Hopefully SHA-256, etc. will become the default algorithms by the
time any meaningful attacks are ready.

	Still, I suspect the NSA isn't interested in cracking me, so I'm
probably not taking this as seriously as some.

Aaron