Art Alexion on 27 Mar 2005 13:45:48 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Need to reinstall grub

Art Alexion wrote:

Grub was installed on my MBR on hda. It seems that hda has given up the ghost. Not much lost (win98 that came with computer), but now I can't boot (currently running knoppix). Boot is a continuous loop from the mem test to going through the BIOS-defined boot drives, then back to the mem test.

How can I get the computer to boot from hdb (where linux, the kernel, and the grub program are located). To be more precise, I don't really understand where the grub program is located, but I think most of it is in /boot/grub on /dev/hdb2.

If anyone can walk me through this using knoppix, that would be wonderful. I have the Knoppix 2.6.9 kernel loaded. I know that the Ubuntu kernel on /dev/hdb2 is a 2.6 kernel, but I am not sure of the exact version.

I mounted /dev/hdb2 and it looks like the Ubuntu kernel that I am using is 2.6.8-1

Art