Art Alexion on 27 Mar 2005 13:41:29 -0000

[PLUG] Need to reinstall grub

Grub was installed on my MBR on hda. It seems that hda has given up the ghost. Not much lost (win98 that came with computer), but now I can't boot (currently running knoppix). Boot is a continuous loop from the mem test to going through the BIOS-defined boot drives, then back to the mem test.

How can I get the computer to boot from hdb (where linux, the kernel, and the grub program are located). To be more precise, I don't really understand where the grub program is located, but I think most of it is in /boot/grub on /dev/hdb2.

If anyone can walk me through this using knoppix, that would be wonderful. I have the Knoppix 2.6.9 kernel loaded. I know that the Ubuntu kernel on /dev/hdb2 is a 2.6 kernel, but I am not sure of the exact version.

Art