Kevin Brosius on 27 Mar 2005 22:17:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Need to reinstall grub

Jeff wrote:

> If you can't set your BIOS to boot your primary slave first, you are
> going to need something in there that the BIOS can boot to. And that is
>
>  what needs grub on the mbr.  So you could either:
>

> 1) Install your music drive now as the primary master and put grub in
> its hda. This would not require changing BIOS settings, but would
> require formatting it from knoppix, setting it to be bootable with
> cfdisk, and setting up grub in its mbr.
>
> 2) Switch your linux drive to be the primary master. You would not have
> to change BIOS settings but you would have to set it bootable. You
> would probably have to fix /etc/fstab to switch hdb for hda, but
> probably nothing else.

Or use a boot floppy.  On systems that can't be setup to easily boot a
non-primary master this is an easy way out.  I haven't tried it with
grub, but it works good in lilo.  Contrary to what you might think, it
only loads a single sector off the floppy, so you won't really notice a
boot delay with this method.  It also lets you leave your primary linux
partitions wherever they happen to be (hdb, hdc, hdd, etc...)

--
Kevin