Stephen Gran on 6 Apr 2005 17:03:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] compact flash reader weirdness

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:05:01PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> The device /dev/sda1 has disappeared since my last reboot:
>
>   jeff@asterix:incoming $ mount -v /cflash
>   mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
>   jeff@asterix:incoming $ grep cflash /etc/fstab
>   ##/dev/sda1     /cflash         auto    defaults,user,noauto            0       0
>   /dev/sda1      /cflash         vfat    defaults,user,noauto            0       0
>   /dev/sda1      /cflash-ro      vfat    defaults,ro,user,noauto         0       0
>   jeff@asterix:incoming $
>
> The only difference I'm aware of since the last reboot is that I took
> ide-scsi out of /etc/modules, since that was a 2.4-ism.  That change
> caused my cdrw to start working again, at least.
>
>   jeff@asterix:jeff $ egrep 'usb|scsi|hcd' /proc/modules
>   uhci_hcd 33136 0 - Live 0xf8996000
>   ohci_hcd 21764 0 - Live 0xf8881000
>   ehci_hcd 32004 0 - Live 0xf888e000
>   usb_storage 69056 0 - Live 0xf89ad000
>   hpusbscsi 7808 0 - Live 0xf8825000
>   scsi_mod 125228 3 sd_mod,usb_storage,hpusbscsi, Live 0xf88b4000
>   usbcore 119012 7 uhci_hcd,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd,usb_storage,hpusbscsi, Live 0xf8977000
>   ide_core 139940 5 ide_cd,usb_storage,ide_generic,piix,ide_disk, Live 0xf885d000
>   jeff@asterix:jeff $
>
> The output of dmesg suggests the device ought to exist.  Here's the
> relevant fragment:
>
>   usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
>   scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>     Vendor: SanDisk   Model: ImageMate CF-SM   Rev: 0100
>     Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>   Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>     Vendor: SanDisk   Model: ImageMate CF-SM   Rev: 0100
>     Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>   Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
>   USB Mass Storage device found at 2
>
> This suggests I should use /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1, but that
> causes the usual problem.  Changing /etc/fstab and trying again, I see
> this:

Right - you always (AFAIK) need to mount a partition, not a disk itself.

>   jeff@asterix:incoming $ mount /cflash
>   mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
> 	 or too many mounted file systems
>   jeff@asterix:incoming $
>
> Changing fstab back again, it suddenly works.  The file /dev/sda1,
> which hadn't existed ten minutes ago, exists now.
>
> At least it works now, but this is is weird.  Any thoughts?

Is udev installed?  That or hotplug does strange things to removable
devices.  That is where I would start your investigation - syslog
snippets might also be helpful in debugging.
|  Stephen Gran                  | <Knghtbrd> Feanor - license issues are  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | important.  If we don't watch our       |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | arses now, someone's gonna come up and  |
|  			         | bite us later...                        |