Jeff Abrahamson on 6 Apr 2005 16:05:13 -0000

[PLUG] compact flash reader weirdness

The device /dev/sda1 has disappeared since my last reboot:

  jeff@asterix:incoming $ mount -v /cflash
  mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
  jeff@asterix:incoming $ grep cflash /etc/fstab
  ##/dev/sda1     /cflash         auto    defaults,user,noauto            0       0
  /dev/sda1      /cflash         vfat    defaults,user,noauto            0       0
  /dev/sda1      /cflash-ro      vfat    defaults,ro,user,noauto         0       0
  jeff@asterix:incoming $

The only difference I'm aware of since the last reboot is that I took
ide-scsi out of /etc/modules, since that was a 2.4-ism.  That change
caused my cdrw to start working again, at least.

  jeff@asterix:jeff $ egrep 'usb|scsi|hcd' /proc/modules
  uhci_hcd 33136 0 - Live 0xf8996000
  ohci_hcd 21764 0 - Live 0xf8881000
  ehci_hcd 32004 0 - Live 0xf888e000
  usb_storage 69056 0 - Live 0xf89ad000
  hpusbscsi 7808 0 - Live 0xf8825000
  scsi_mod 125228 3 sd_mod,usb_storage,hpusbscsi, Live 0xf88b4000
  usbcore 119012 7 uhci_hcd,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd,usb_storage,hpusbscsi, Live 0xf8977000
  ide_core 139940 5 ide_cd,usb_storage,ide_generic,piix,ide_disk, Live 0xf885d000
  jeff@asterix:jeff $

The output of dmesg suggests the device ought to exist.  Here's the
relevant fragment:

  usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
    Vendor: SanDisk   Model: ImageMate CF-SM   Rev: 0100
  Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    Vendor: SanDisk   Model: ImageMate CF-SM   Rev: 0100
  Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
  USB Mass Storage device found at 2

This suggests I should use /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1, but that
causes the usual problem.  Changing /etc/fstab and trying again, I see
this:

  jeff@asterix:incoming $ mount /cflash
  mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
	 or too many mounted file systems
  jeff@asterix:incoming $

Changing fstab back again, it suddenly works.  The file /dev/sda1,
which hadn't existed ten minutes ago, exists now.

At least it works now, but this is is weird.  Any thoughts?

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287