Cosmin Nicolaescu on 21 Apr 2005 14:06:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] abit AI7 - acpi, ht

On Thu, April 21, 2005 9:29 am, Mark M. Hoffman said:
> Hello Cosmin:
>
> Not *all* P4s are HT capable.  (e.g. my older 1.8GHz Northwood)  Is 'ht'
> included among the flags in /proc/cpuinfo ?
>

> I can't help you much w/ ACPI temps, sorry.
>

> One of my machines uses the same driver (w83627hf).  It works OK for me.
> What version of lm_sensors?  What kernel version?
>
> Hmmm, it almost looks like the sensor chip is not there... notice all the
> voltage readings are at the top end of their scales.  I bet the chip is
> responding with all 0xff.  Try this as root: 'isadump 0x295 0x296' (very
> small chance it could crash the machine, sorry)  and send me the results.
>

> The (VID error) indicates a probable mismatch between lm_sensors version
> and
> kernel version.  See here: http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/kernel26.html
> (about halfway down)  That could be *a* problem, but that's not the whole
> problem.
>

> Also, did you run sensors-detect?  Did it identify anything else besides
> the w83627hf?  Can you find the w83627hf on the board, physically?  It's
> roughly postage-stamp sized, and it says "Winbond" on it.
>
> Finally, some of the (other) developers hang out on #linux-sensors on
> freenode.  Also, the lm_sensors mailing list is open (no need to
> subscribe)
>
> sensors AT stimpy DOT netroedge DOT com
>
> I hope this helps; regards,
>
> --
> Mark M. Hoffman
> mhoffman@lightlink.com

Hello Mark,

I know not all the P4's are HT capable. The slowest P4 w/ HT is, from what
I know, the 2.4, which is what I have. The 'ht' flag is present, however
I'm not as sure as I was yesterday that it represents HT capability, since
I saw a 2Ghz P4 with the flag what is not HT capable.

Here is an output of lshw regarding my proc, maybe you guys can notice
more than I can:

 *-cpu
          product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 4
          version: 15.2.9
          slot: Socket 478
          size: 2448MHz
          capacity: 4GHz
          clock: 136MHz
          capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce
cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse
36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr
          configuration: id=0

lm_sensors: 2.8.7
kernel: 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 (switched from hardened thinking it might help -
also reiser4 wasn't patching properly on hardened and i was bored of
2.6.10 :-p)

you're right about the chip:

     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
10: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
20: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
30: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
40: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
50: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
60: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
70: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
80: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
90: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
a0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
b0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
c0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
d0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
e0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
f0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff

Anything that cane be done about this?

I've added a couple of more modules to see if it helps, if anything
changes I'll post it.

I did run sensors-detect, and it did discover another module, however that
is for my tvtuner (eeprom).

I will look for the w83627hf on the board, however from your description
it sounds very familiary, so it's probably there.

I'll check out the IRC channel and/or the mailing list tonight after I get
home.

Thank you for all your information and help!

- -Cos

- --
GPG key fingerprint = DE9F 4664 E666 2BD1 903E  4F4D EA31 5FB1 C7F9 08C1