sandy on 21 Apr 2005 00:48:21 -0000

[PLUG] beep produced for printf("\abeep \n");

  a c program with

  #include <stdio.h>
  #include <stdlib.h>
  int main(void)
  {
  printf( "\a beep \n");
  return 1;
  }
  worked in kernels 2.0.x to 2.4.x and maybe earlier.  It is not working
  in kernels 2.5 -2.6.8.1 at least.  Supposedly it has been placed in
  the alsa program.  I do not have a sound card.  Could someone using
  a 2.6.x  x>8.1  kernel with a sound card see if this works.
    I would appreciate this.  I do not wish to try to get a sound to
    work  just to discover that the beep has not been correctly
    fixed.
    I would also appreciate knowing what sound card you use.
    thank you very much.
    sandy