Bill Hance on 25 Apr 2005 13:34:17 -0000

[PLUG] 2 quick questions

Hi Len,

  Dick Elliott's friend Bill Hance here.  I hope all is well with you.

  I have two quick questions for you.

1.  what ballpark should a starting consultant charge? I am Red Hat
certified. I know Solaris 10 and Windows, which I try to avoid. I may be
offered some work consulting, and was asked what my rate was. I have no
idea what to say.

    I have been a Sys Admin for 10+ years.  Never consulted once though.
    any ideas?   ballpark figure?  salary range?

2.  I have a Cisco 2600 with ios 12.0 installed.  I have a WIC-1ADSL wan
adapter that I want to install and use here at home.  (to relearn ios, and
to replace my DSL modem)  The WIC-1ADSL requires ios 12.3 for the c2600.

    I contacted Cisco, and they want me to register, and pay $$.  Do you
have access to downloads?  Can you e-mail me the ios 12.3 image for
the c2600?  Can I snail-mail you a CDR in a SASE, if that would be
easier?

    Any help is appreciated.

    If you ever need an assistant for a job, keep me in mind.  I recently
took the Solaris 10 exams (beta - free) and am waiting for my scores.
I am currently unemployeed.

thanks for any help you can provide.

  -Bill

> We have found that different distributions have different "home" areas
> for applications.
>
> Backups are at least /etc, /home, /var/log (on important servers),
> /var/spool/mail (on mail servers), etc.......
>
> Hope that helps a bit.
>
> Len
>
>> survey question for linux admins ...
>>

>> 1) is there a standard location for installing applications?
>>

>> 2) what do you typically backup?
>>
>>     /home    /etc     ???
>>

>> thanks in advance for your advice
>>

>> rk

http://www.billhance.com/

I'm Bill Hance, and I approved this message.