Doug Crompton on 25 Apr 2005 03:56:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] USB Mass storage question

Ok I will try this next time I get a chance. I use a script and I have
about 6 partitions mounted on this drive, so I think it would be safer to
umount the partitions individually, like I do now, and then issue the
eject - BUT if I do that the device will not exist to eject????

I have physical device /dev/sda1 - which I mount (and unmount) as sda5
through sda11. How would you do this with the eject command?

For a little background... The ATA drive in USB box is partitioned and
formatted in exactly the same way as my main (wired ATA) drive in my
system. It is a backup image of it. In the event of a failure of the main
drive I could just physically swap the USB ATA drive and the main wired
ATA drive. I had been doing this backup using a second wired ATA
removeable drive. This works but the problem is that to shutdown/startup a
wired ATA drive you must reboot the system. With the USB drive I can just
turn it on and off between backups.

It would be neat if the external USB boxes had a drive shutdown feature.
Then the entire backup procedure from turning the drive on, backing up,
and turning the drive off, could be automated!

Anyone doing anything with ethernet drives? I see Linux Journal is going
to have an article on them next month.

Doug

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, Jon Nelson wrote:

> I was recently working on getting my iPod connected to a Debian box and
> was having similar problems.  I believe the solution to your problem is
> using the 'eject' command.  As far as I know even if you mount the drive
> as a user it has to be ejected as root.  I would suggest creating a sudo
> command alias for 'eject'.  Then you should be able to:
>
>     $sudo eject /usb_mnt_point
>
> or:
>
>     $sudo eject /dev/sda1 (or whatever it is)
>
> According to the man page this also unmounts it and it works for me.
>
> Jon

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *