Jon Nelson on 25 Apr 2005 13:51:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] USB Mass storage question

Doug Crompton said:
> Ok I will try this next time I get a chance. I use a script and I have
> about 6 partitions mounted on this drive, so I think it would be safer to
> umount the partitions individually, like I do now, and then issue the
> eject - BUT if I do that the device will not exist to eject????
>
> I have physical device /dev/sda1 - which I mount (and unmount) as sda5
> through sda11. How would you do this with the eject command?

After unmounting the device is still there, which I believe is your
problem.  When you unmount the drive the 'usb_storage' module is still
loaded and therefore the device is still present.  'eject' takes care of
this.

If you want to unmount first, go ahead and then also according to the man
page to eject the first SCSI drive:

    $sudo eject sda

You also might want to play with the '-a' option, which turns on|off the
auto eject mode if supported by your drive.

Jon