gyoza on 1 May 2005 04:11:05 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Wireless router recommendations

Stephen Gran wrote:

I am planning to add a wireless segment to my home LAN, but I had a couple
of questions before doing so.  I am mostly interested in something with
decent range, but relatively 'dumb' otherwise.  WEP encryption and the
like would I suppose be nice, but I trust the wires about as much as I
trust the air, so nothing that's important goes in the clear as it is.

I am wondering if I can get a hold of a wireless router that does not
_have_ to do NAT and packet filtering and so forth - having the ability
to do so is great, but I would like to be able to be selective. So far
everything I have seen is pretty much all of it on, and no mention of
whether it can be switched off. I like the looks of the Linksys (is it
wrtg?) that has the possibility of running a stripped down linux on it -
that would at least let it be flexible :) Any one have any experience
with this one? Any others come to mind?

Linksys WRT54GS is what I have, with after-market firmware, Linux-based. Or, you could just build your own router.