gyoza on 1 May 2005 16:26:25 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Skype, Linksys, Comcast and DirecTV

Warwick Poole wrote:

I am having a weird issue with Skype. Wondering if anyone else has the same issue?

I have Comcast cable access. Very basic NW setup: Comcast Motorola modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G AP (stock, unhacked as yet) and then connected to the 10/100 and 802.11G home network which has a few Netgear and noname-brand switches.

Here is the issue:

After Skype has been running for a while, I lose my Internet connection. I can't ping anything off my LAN, let alone resolve any external DNS. My Comcast link goes dead. The only solution is to power cycle the Linksys AP and Motorola modem. Only Skype seems to do this and it doesnt matter if I use the Windows or Linux Skype client.

Have you tried running Skype directly connected to the cable modem instead of running through the router? That would effectively narrow down the possible causes of the problem.