sean finney on 11 May 2005 20:51:47 -0000

Re: [PLUG] fedora

hey,

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 04:44:46PM -0400, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	We have a customer using RHEL and we use White Box Linux in our
> test environment to avoid the licensing.  There's also CentOS and Tao
> Linux which do the same thing (that is, strip the logos and otherwise
> rebuild a distro from the RHEL source RPMs).  The problem with Fedora is

this may be a bit of flamebait, but....  i've always wondered why people
go so far out of their way to recreate redhat.

> rebuild a distro from the RHEL source RPMs).  The problem with Fedora is
> that those releases have a pretty short duration of support (though a
> couple of developers here go with Fedora, and just keep up with the
> periodic FC releases).

in this particular situation, assuming we're talking about a bunch of
lab computers, the frequent release cycle of fedora isn't too much of an
issue, since you probably want the latest and greatest out there anyway.

the important thing to do is make sure that you have a good (kickstart
or equivalent) infrastructure in place so that you don't have to break
your back every 4-6 months when you want to reinstall the machines.

	sean