rekaye1005 on 12 May 2005 17:34:37 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Re: fedora

Tom:

Its ITT Tech. There are many schools throughout the country.
Things change very slowly.
So, for stability/support purposes, FC3 or some FC4 version?
Stuff never changed so quickly in the Novell, Microsoft worlds.

I have SUSE 9.x from a Novell promo, which I will get around to,
But just for personal reasons, among them being I am a Novell expert.

Thanks for your help

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Tom Diehl
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 5:54 AM
To: Ron Kaye Jr; Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: [PLUG] Re: fedora

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Ron Kaye Jr wrote:

> Our curriculum calls for upgrading from RedHat 9 to Fedora Core.
> What version do YOU recommend?  FC3? Is FC4 bleeding edge?

FC4Test3 was just released on this past Tuesday, so yes, it is bleeding
edge. Having said that I have been tracking rawhide quite successfully
since FC4Test1 was released. Why anyone would still be teaching RHL9
is beyond me. It has been EOL'd for at least 2 years. The problem with
Fedora Core is that whatever version you install it will be EOL'd within
a year. It is gonna make it tough to stay current. The main purpose for
FC is to get tings tested that might go into future versions of RHEL.
A good portion of the features in FC3 made it into RHEL 4 which was
released within the last 6 months. Things like selinux were tested
during
the FC2/FC3 release cycle and then intigrated into RHEL4. FC2's selinux
support was such a disaster initally that it had to be disabled by
default
to get the release out. RHEL4 has a working selinux thanks to testing
done
on Fedora Core.

> I may be wrong, but RedHat pricing seemed cost prohibitive,
> negating an advantage.

There are academic discounts available if you qualify. IIRC something
along
the lines of $25.00/machine. You might want to call Red Hat to see what
the
requirements are. Like it or not the majority of linux jobs I have
looked at
want Red Hat experience. Since Novell aquired SuSe that might change
over
time but.....

In addition as others have stated there are clones like cAos, Centos,
Whitebox,
Tao, Scientific linux, and the list goes on and on. They take the Red
Hat SRPMS
and build them into a distro. Some do minimal mods required to get
things to build
in their environment. Others do more extensive mods to bend things to
fit their
own specific needs. Depends on what you are looking for.

HTH,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@rogueind.com		Spamtrap address
mtd123@rogueind.com