M.Simons on 14 May 2005 14:49:58 -0000

[PLUG] not-exactly-OT:TIVO and HME/TTG

Greetings,

  So I recently got a Tivo.. for those not in the know, these boxes run
off of Linux.

They also recently opened up an interface to do all sorts of nifty things
interfacing with your network and piping the results through the Tivo and
your TV/audio system -- the Tivo is no longer 'just' a DVR..

Displaying your pictures, music, streaming radio off the internet,
automatically downloading weather, stock info, rss, etc.  You can also
offload programs you record on the Tivo (although they come DRM wrapped.)

So much is possible, and I'm wondering who out there has Tivos, and what
you're doing with them..

Personally I'm really interested in cobbling together a server with all my
miscellaneous junk parts for all my media files, and well, something to
run who knows what else.. can use help, suggstions, etc. it would be
useful to have something in the cabinet with the TV, etc. even though my
computers already in the same room, it would be good to make something
dedicated. (And get all these files off the main comp..)

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY www.michaelsimons.com
Turning Old Into New?: Please Take Materials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org