Tom Diehl on 14 May 2005 14:29:15 -0000

[PLUG] Re: fedora

On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:48:46 -0400 sean finney <seanius@seanius.net> wrote:

>> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 07:33:53PM -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
>> you need to be looking at Red Hat Enterprise. They are committing to support it
>> for 10 years. They only do new releases every 18 months. If you do not qualify
>> for their edu licensing then I would suggest looking at one of the rebuild
>> projects. At least then you will not find yourself teaching something that was
>> EOL'd several years ago.
>
>there's another distribution out there that comes to mind when i hear
>people talking about long release cycles.  in fact, people usually
>*complain* about how long the release cycles are :)

True, but how many companies are actually looking for people with experience
with that particular distro? :-))  THe OP was looking to upgrade machines at
the school where he works. Schools should be teaching the skills that are in
demand by companies that actually have jobs to fill. Otherwise what is the
point of taking the course.

The real advantage to using a distro like Red Hat Enterprise or SUSE is in the
long term support. Red Hat is still actively supporting RHEL 2.1, which is 3 or
4 years old. If you need something newer with more bells and whistles you also
have your choice of RHEL 3 or RHEL 4. All 3 are stable and well supported. I
do not think you can say the same thing for "that other distro". :-)

IMO the bottom line is if you need a serious distro with long term stability
and support, you are going to have to pay for it. Corporations want that
stability, which is why I think Red Hat has done so well and why Novell
bought SUSE.

Reguards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com