Paul L. Snyder on 20 May 2005 15:51:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Drexel MCS Society Debate

Quoting Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com>:

> As is MS policy, he presented mostly FUD.  He even said this.
> (There's a name for this rhetorical device, although I can't remember
> it off hand: saying what you won't say and in the process saying it.
> E.g., "I will not tell you that my opponent is a crook.")  So, for
> example, those of us who were there may have noticed him saying stuff
> like, "Of course, both linux and MS have disadvantages."  But then he
> only enumerated the disadvantages of linux.

Apophasis.  (I won't say that it's a sleazy trick, but...)

Your last example would be closer to dirimens copulatio, where a counter-
case is mentioned to add the appearance of balance to an argument.

There's a nice list of rhetorical figures to be found at

  http://www.virtualsalt.com/rhetoric.htm

pls

P.S. Bonus points for identifying the second rhetorical device in my
parenthetical comment.

P.P.S. Sorry I couldn't make the debate...I would have liked to have
been there.