Doug Crompton on 3 Jun 2005 14:41:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] binding eth0 to a specific NIC

Doesn't the BIOS play into this and what (PCI) slot the card is plugged
into? I know you changed SW and not HW but I would be curious if you
changed slot positions if this would change the kernel scan order. You may
also be able to change this in the BIOS settings PCI slot assignments.

Doug

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, sean finney wrote:

> hey folks,
>
> i have a dell poweredge server that has 4 NICs.  2 are standard
> intel epro100 cards, and 2 are fancy broadcom gig-E cards.  on
> my server that was previously running RHAS 2.1, the broadcom
> cards showed up as eth0 and eth1, and the intel cards are eth2/eth3.
>
> *however*, when installing RHAS 4, the order is totally flip-flopped
> and now the broadcoms show up as eth2/eth3.  so my question is:
> is there anyway from the kernel boot cmdline to specify the
> preferred order for scanning these devices?
>

> thanks,
> 	sean

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *