Ed Martin on 8 Jun 2005 14:40:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Comcast problems anyone?

Hey jason,
Comcast appears to have been under a domain poisoning for the last 3mos or so. The best you can do personally is to use multiple DNS settings.
try these:
204.57.55.100
68.87.64.196
199.166.24.253
199.166.27.253
199.2.252.10
~Ed

Jon Nelson wrote:

Hi all,

Last night I found I had no name resolution but I could ping outside IP's.
That morning I had no problems.

I called Comcast and it took them several minutes to pull up my account,
which struck me as weird.  I spoke to one of their "script readers" who
was unable to help resolve my problem and while I was on the phone with
him I lost connectivity.  I was able to get an IP via DHCP but I could not
ping the gateway or DNS servers.  I did notice that the canonical name for
my IP had significantly changed after the refresh.  He had mentioned the
storm the night before as a possible culprit (for the loss of
connectivity), but since I was online that morning I discounted that
suggestion.

He then told me that he noticed that my modem was unregistered and
unsuccessfully tried to register it. He then noticed that there were two
account numbers associated with my address, which seemed to baffle him. This person then insinuated that I might be trying to steal service from
Comcast and asked if the modem was mine or did I lease it from them. I do
have a leased modem. I was then told that they had recently done some
upgrades to their system and some of the accounts had not transfered
properly. He told me he had to escalate my problem to another department
and it would take about two days to fix. He would not name the
department.

Anyone know about this "upgrade" or have any ideas of what might be going
on?  Comcast has a great record with their "upgrades" (ie., DNS, DVR,
etc...) and was just wondering if this might be part of another saga.

TIA,

Jon