Jason on 12 Jun 2005 03:08:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Sun Blade 100

On 6/11/05, Len Pikulski <lenp@nothinbut.net> wrote:
> I know this hasn't been said in a while, and I am not picking on you
> Michael, but ......
>
> As of late there seems to be a lot of hardware "peddling" on this list.
> I would say rather than being "off topic" this type of activity probably
> belongs on another list.

Pardon me, since I'm one of the so-called "peddlers"...

In the past, I've seen plenty of people offer a bunch of stuff for
sale, trade, or even to be given away on this list.  I can only recall
one objection raised - yours.

So, a member of this list has some sort of hardware that they no
longer want or need, and may be of use to a fellow Linux user in the
area.  What pray tell is wrong with making mention of it to a local
group of Linux users, hey, like this one?  If I was in the market for
some sort of gear, I'd much prefer to deal with a local person that's
part of a group whose mailing list I'm on, rather than someone in some
far-flung corner of civilization that I've never heard of before.

If the majority of the body of users objected to this practice, I'd
gladly never post a for-sale item on this list again.  I'm sure
everyone else who from time to time has something to get rid of would
also abide by that judgement.  Unless you're the "man in charge", I'd
suggest you leave that decision to the body.

If you object so strongly, while others do not seem to, may I suggest
you filter as you see fit on the string "FS:" in the subject line?